Prince Harry’s title of ‘His Royal Highness’ has been removed from the official website of the British royal family — more than three years after he and his wife Meghan Markle stepped away from their duties.
The royal family’s website was updated on August 4 after the United Kingdom-based publication The Mirror reported that Prince Harry and other royals were still being referred to by their former titles, even though they had stepped back from royal duties.
The royal family’s website, which aims to be an authoritative resource of information about the monarchy and royal family, past and present, made a blunder by continuing to refer to Prince Harry and Meghan Markle by their former titles, even though they had stepped back from royal duties. As a result of the error, the website was updated to remove Harry and Meghan’s HRH titles and to move their names to the bottom of the family’s main page, beneath working members of the family but above the name of Prince Andrew.
Before the correction, Prince Harry was incorrectly referred to as “His Royal Highness” twice on the royal family’s website. He was also listed as the youngest son of the Prince of Wales, which was his father’s title before he became King Charles III. King Charles III, who has been the monarch since September 2022, was also misidentified online and was still listed as the Prince of Wales. His wife, Queen Camilla, was also incorrectly referred to as the Duchess of Cornwall.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, who married in May 2018, announced in January 2020 that they would be “stepping back” from their royal duties in order to become “financially independent.” The couple discussed their decision further in a CBS tell-all interview in March 2021, in which they opened up about the struggles they faced as members of the British royal family. The couple have two children together, Archie and Lilibet.
Prince Harry expressed concern that history would repeat itself, alluding to the death of his late mother, Princess Diana, who was killed in a car crash in 1997 while being chased by paparazzi. Since making their move permanent in 2021, the couple has resided in Montecito, California, where they are raising their family.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s move to the United States has not been as financially successful as they had hoped. The couple signed major deals with Netflix, Spotify, and Penguin Random House, but their projects have not been as popular as they had anticipated. Their Netflix docuseries was a success, but their other projects have been met with mixed reviews. Spotify canceled their $20 million deal with the couple after they only delivered one podcast, and Meghan’s 12-episode podcast was also canceled. The couple reportedly failed to meet “productivity benchmarks.”
Things got even worse for Harry and Meghan when Spotify’s head of podcast innovation and monetization and popular podcaster Bill Simmons called the two “f–king grifters.”
“I have got to get drunk one night and tell the story of the Zoom I had with Harry to try and help him with a podcast idea,” Bill said during his June 16 podcast. “It’s one of my best stories … F–k them. The grifters.”
The A-list couple had been seemingly exploring a return back to royal life, an insider told In Touch exclusively on July 26. “Harry and Meghan have secretly reached out to Harry’s brother, Prince William, to discuss the possibility of returning to the royal family,” said the source, adding, “This is something they both want very much.”